Join me as I travel the world in search of the tastiest beer, smoothest wine and to die for chocolate. I am not an expert, just an enthusiast. I only write about places that are FUN.

This decade-long adventure is just beginning. I plan to travel extensively through North and South America, Europe and touch on Africa and Asia. I invite you to follow my journey and send me suggestions for places to visit. Thanks for reading my blog!

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/beerwinechocolate



Thursday, December 31, 2015

Kauai, Hawaii - Kauai Beer Company

When my husband and I decided to spend our anniversary in Kauai, Hawaii, we didn't go for the beer. We went for the glorious weather, spectacular snorkeling and panoramic scenery.  Surprise, surprise! We actually found some pretty decent craft beer.

The brewery and brew pub is located in downtown Lihue,Kauai.


The Kauai Beer Company is not located in the most picturesque area on the island.  Housed on a busy main street, the unassuming storefront does not impress.  Once we stepped inside, we were transferred into a lively pub, filled with a mix of locals and tourists enjoying pints of colorful beer and having a very good time.

Bright, modern, comfortable pub. 

With eight choices brewed right on premise, I chose a flight of six.  Visually, I was impressed with the depth of colors when the flight arrived.

Such pretty colors.  But how about the taste?

Pretty beer is one thing, but how did it match up with craft beer on the mainland.  Okay, so the beer did not have the complexity of flavors offered in many Pacific NW brews (think Deschutes), but for a brewery opened for only two years, off the beaten path in Kauai, I have to say, it was pretty darn good. I especially liked the Tropical Armadillo, an oatmeal pale ale with a hint of tropical flavoring. It was refreshing after a day at the beach.  The Austrian Chicken, a Vienna lager, was my husband's favorite. I thought the IPA was lacking, but the Black Limousine, a dark Bavarian beer was very flavorful.

Food choices were limited, mostly typical pub grub. The night to go, if you don't mind a crowd is Thursdays, when two popular food trucks park out front.  Patrons are welcome to purchase locally grown and prepared favorites from the trucks and enjoy them in the pub with their beer.  Although we weren't there to experience it, we were told that an empty chair is hard to find on Thursdays.

So, if you're in Kauai and you're craving a cold craft beer, you're not likely be disappointed with a visit to the Kauai Beer Company.

The beer is brewed on premise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment