Join me as I travel the world in search of the tastiest beer, smoothest wine and to die for chocolate. I am not an expert, just an enthusiast. I only write about places that are FUN.

This decade-long adventure is just beginning. I plan to travel extensively through North and South America, Europe and touch on Africa and Asia. I invite you to follow my journey and send me suggestions for places to visit. Thanks for reading my blog!

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/beerwinechocolate



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Asheville, NC - The French Broad Chocolate Lounge

The entrance of one of the great places in Asheville.
The French Broad Chocolate Lounge is a comfortable lounge to enjoy a multitude of chocolate desserts, paired with excellent coffee, wine or beer. 
What did we have:  Dark chocolate mousse blended with local black raspberry sauce topped with homemade whipped cream, ruby red Italian Montepulciano D'Abruzzo and Prosecco
What's fun:  Superb chocolate desserts, excellent wine list, local brews, live music, local art and a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy it all

Making a decision on what to have is the tough part.
I know this is a major cliche, but if the French Broad Chocolate Lounge isn't heaven on earth, then I don't know what is.  When it comes to the joys in life, the chocolate lounge scores big.  Located just off the main hub in downtown Asheville, the business looks rather unassuming until you step inside and see the long line of folks waiting to taste the bliss of artisan chocolates and handmade desserts.  No worries, the popular lounge is up to the task of meeting the needs of their many guests.  The line moves fast as you approach the counter, and you'll get a good view of all the daily offerings.  You need the extra time to decide what you're going to have, and it will be a challenge to choose only one dessert.  Everything from cakes, cookies, brownies, chocolate creme brulee, pies, mousses, truffles, etc. etc. etc. All are homemade and there is something that will delight most everyone.  Even if you don't like chocolate, there are a few options that looked tempting including carrot cake and vanilla creme brulee.  Once you finally decide which sweet to choose, you'll have the daunting task to select a beverage.  They offer an extensive coffee bar, many types of hot chocolate and teas,  a lengthy wine list and four local draft beers.  I even saw a few adults and children with full glasses of fresh milk.  The lounge has three levels of seating, mostly tables and chairs, but a nice comfy couch is located by the front window.  The night we visited there was a group playing tasteful jazz, a perfect accompaniment to great food and drink. 
These are truly heaven on earth.
What did we have:  What a tough decision.  I would have been happy with almost everything they had to offer.  But when I saw the dark chocolate mousse with local black raspberry sauce, my decision was made.  My husband also chose the same dessert.  When asked if we wanted it topped with home made whipped cream, we both nodded enthusiastically.  We can always run a couple extra miles to work off this special treat.  To accompany the mousse, I chose a glass of red Piane di Maggio  Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.  It was ruby in color and had hints of pomegranate and a nice smooth finish.  My husband chose a crisp dry La Marca Prosecco and thought it went very well with the dark chocolate.  The mousse was rich in flavor and ultra smooth in texture.  The balance of fruit and dark chocolate was perfect.  Every bite was treat. The French Broad Chocolates' motto is:  small, local, organic, fair and superb.  Perfect.  We sat at a table on the second floor loft, and could look down on the muscians below.  What an enjoyable evening!  I simply can't wait to go back...
What's fun:  It is such an event going to the chocolate lounge, you could plan a trip to Asheville just to experience the place. It's so unique and special, I can't recommend it highly enough. There was an enthusiastic and lively crowd when we were there that always adds to the fun.  We anticipate many additional trips to Asheville in our future, and there will be many new places to experience.   But I guarantee, I will make no trip to Asheville that will not include a visit to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge.

No comments:

Post a Comment