Join me as I travel the world in search of the tastiest beer, smoothest wine and to die for chocolate. I am not an expert, just an enthusiast. I only write about places that are FUN.

This decade-long adventure is just beginning. I plan to travel extensively through North and South America, Europe and touch on Africa and Asia. I invite you to follow my journey and send me suggestions for places to visit. Thanks for reading my blog!

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/beerwinechocolate



Friday, March 22, 2013

Bend, OR - Crux Fermentation Project

The stylistic sign welcomes beer loving patrons at night. 

Just when you think the beer scene in Bend, Oregon can't get any better, it does! During our winter visit we discovered a new exciting craft beer venue.  Crux Fermentation Project opened last June, but we didn’t get a chance to check it out until our visit this winter.  Now I’m sure it will be one of the first stops we make during our summer visit.

The door was open on this mild winter afternoon. 

Crux takes pride in producing small batches of beer with creative and complex tastes, and I’m happy to report they hit their mark...and then some.  It’s fun to find a new venue that is not just riding the super hopped band wagon foregoing all other beer styles.


The brew pub is busy during happy hour. 

The interior of Crux is not all that unusual.  They converted an old transmission shop and mill supply store into a brewery and pub with an industrial feel.   Patrons sit on heavy wood tables or at a long bar in view of the large gleaming vats of brewing beer. Lots of windows and the ubiquitous sliding garage doors surround the tasting room.  A good sized crowd was there the night I visited with my family.  We were in the mood to enjoy some full bodied beer and tasty food, and we were not disappointed.

Darcy likes the Nitro Stout the best!

We ordered two tasters and tried 12 of the 15 beers.  They also offered a draft cider. I don’t think there was one beer that we didn’t enjoy.  Our taste preferences vary and each of us was happy.  My husband goes for German style malt-driven beer.  Our daughter prefers a dark stout, and I’m all about a nice hop finish.  The Marzen, Nitro Stout and Imperial Triskel fit the bill. Original flavors and depth of character categorize their selection.  It’s clear that an experienced beer master created these brews. We ordered some tasty pub grub - sandwiches, wraps and salads - to accompany our beer.  It was one fun beer drinking experience! 

I’m told they open a beer garden in warmer weather and they are building a dog park in the back.  You can be assured we’ll be back to Crux this summer, not too long after we pull into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment