Join me as I travel the world in search of the tastiest beer, smoothest wine and to die for chocolate. I am not an expert, just an enthusiast. I only write about places that are FUN.

This decade-long adventure is just beginning. I plan to travel extensively through North and South America, Europe and touch on Africa and Asia. I invite you to follow my journey and send me suggestions for places to visit. Thanks for reading my blog!

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/beerwinechocolate



Saturday, December 31, 2011

Savannah, GA - The Distillery

The front entrance to Distillery, a trendy craft beer bar. 
The Distillery is a lively bar in Savannah noted for it's craft beer selection.  Clearly one of the current trendy bars in town, The Distillery prides itself for offering "no crap beer, just craft beer." If you're looking for Bud or Miller, go elsewhere. With over 20 beers on tap and over 100 total to choose from, you should be able to find something you like.  Housed in the old Kentucky Distilling Company, the ubiquitous exposed brick and wood that you'll find all over Savannah is present. Tables out front allow the smokers to congregate. This bar is very popular with students from the Savannah School of Art and Design (SCAD), so it has an artsy vibe.  We were thrilled when we arrived to find two seats available at the bar, and the Charlie Chaplin movie, Modern Times, on the big screen TVs.  I'm told that sports are usually on the screens, but with no big games that night, we really enjoyed the silent classic while we sipped our beer.
A flight of Yuletide winter warmers surpassed expectations. 
What did we have:  Since it was the holiday season and a chilly evening, I chose the Yuletide flight of winter warmers.  Along with the flight, they give you a rating sheet that you can take notes and rate the beers on appearance, aroma, palate, flavor and overall.  That was a little too much work for me, so I just sipped, enjoyed and just marked my favorites.  The flight consisted of Highland Cold Mountain, Weyerbacher Winter, Bell's Winter White, Dog Fish Head Raison D'Etre and St. Feuillien Belgian.  This was a fantastic selection of quality craft beer.  I liked them all. My favorite without question was Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre.  Such a superior and flavorful brew, especially on tap.
A great bar and a classic movie is a fun combination. 


What's fun: The Distillery is a great craft beer bar with a hip vibe.  The crowd is interesting, the bartenders knowledgeable, friendly and helpful, and we thoroughly enjoyed a lengthy stay.  There was something so right about sipping great craft beer and watching the silent classic comedy at that bar.  It's a night I'll long remember and I highly recommend you check out the Distillery when you're in town.  You may have to wait for table, but it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment