Join me as I travel the world in search of the tastiest beer, smoothest wine and to die for chocolate. I am not an expert, just an enthusiast. I only write about places that are FUN.

This decade-long adventure is just beginning. I plan to travel extensively through North and South America, Europe and touch on Africa and Asia. I invite you to follow my journey and send me suggestions for places to visit. Thanks for reading my blog!

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/beerwinechocolate



Monday, October 10, 2011

Portland, OR - Pix Patisserie

The bright red exterior of Pix Patisserie. 
When I asked my friend Betsy to find us a great place in Portland that served chocolate desserts, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. If there is one person who knows chocolate, it's Betsy. When I walked into Pix Patisserie, located on an artsy block of Division Street, and took one look at the display case, I knew I  hit the mother lode!  Row upon row of pastries, each presented as mini masterpieces. Pix serves amazing chocolate, fine wine and tasty local beer, all served in a cozy, eclectic atmosphere that oozes ambiance and encourages friendly conversation. Not since visiting the French Broad Chocolate Lounge in Asheville was I so excited.  The desserts tasted as good as they looked which is saying a lot.

Kitchy, whimsical and cozy.
Our visit to Pix took place after a wonderful seafood meal, so unfortunately we all were pretty full.  But that did not prevent us from drooling at the site of the vast offerings.  The decor is  is warm and inviting with various sizes of solid wood tables scattered throughout the room. On the back wall there is another display case featuring individually hand made chocolates of every shape and flavor. Hanging from light fixtures are sock monkeys adding a whimsical feel to the place.  We were urged to grab a table quickly, and wise advice it was, since the room filled up just a few minutes after we arrived. 



Take your pick.
 What did we have:  This was a very tough decision since literally everything looked so good.  After some lengthy deliberation, my husband and I chose to share the Concord, a combination of chocolate mouse, chocolate meringue, chocolate ganache, so beautifully designed that I almost hated to take a bite.  Once I did, it was hard to stop raving. 

Betsy and Larry ordered a hand crafted, dark chocolate caramel flaked with sea salt, and a French almond macaron.  After checking out the selection of wine that paired well with desserts, we all chose a glass of our preference. The patisseries also features a few local draught beers and specialty coffee drinks.  If chocolate isn't your thing (really, it's not?) no problem.  Pix also specializes in numerous non-chocolate pastries, too.

What's fun:  Goodness, how can I be any more enthusiastic?  I have to say everything about a visit to Pix is fun!  The funky location on Division Street, the bright red exterior and warm yellow interior, the cozy atmosphere, and of course, the incredible selection of mouth-watering temptations accompanied with a glass of wine or beer.  It was a perfect way to end a wonderful day in Oregon with two of our favorite friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment